To be notified when registration for the 2024 Academic Retreat for Teachers becomes available, please click the “Register” button at the top of this page.
Since 2007, our Academic Retreat for Teachers has been giving new and veteran teachers, administrators, and board members — anyone involved in Catholic liberal education — the opportunity to rekindle their passion for learning while exploring the foundations of Catholic education with colleagues from around the country.
This event elevates reading from a privatized, cerebral process into a communal experience of charitable discussion, debate, and discovery, transforming the way educators introduce to their students the great works of the Western tradition.
With over three decades of experience leading engaging discussions, ICLE’s Co-Founder and Senior Faculty Consultant Dr. Andrew Seeley leads this retreat, balancing genuine fellowship with a deep dive into the Catholic intellectual tradition.
The Academic Retreat for Teachers offers:
- The opportunity to taste Truth as it is found throughout the typical Catholic liberal education curriculum — in Language, History, Mathematics, Science, Literature, Music, and Theology. Discuss the emotional conclusion of the Iliad, Pericles’ and Lincoln’s stirring funeral orations, the trial of Socrates, Augustine’s dramatic conversion story, the elegance of Euclid’s geometry, Descartes’ rejection of classical education, and much more.
- Small group discussions led by master teachers with fellow Catholic educators who want to ponder the depth and breadth of a curriculum alive with Catholic wisdom and experience the joy of a vibrant Catholic learning community.
- All meals and evening social receptions, beginning with dinner on Thursday and concluding with lunch on Sunday.
- Sacramental and liturgical opportunities, including Morning Prayer, Vespers, Rosary, and Mass.
Space is limited for maximum personal interaction, and the retreat often sells out. This program is suitable for any educator with a love of learning, regardless of the teacher’s level of experience with seminar-style discussion.
The program begins on Thursday at 3 p.m., with check-in from 3-5 p.m. The program concludes on Sunday at 12:15 p.m.
- Member School Rate: $745
- Non-Member School Rate: $795 (Become an ICLE Member School today!)
The cost includes all program sessions and materials, overnight lodging, and meals beginning with dinner on Thursday and concluding with lunch on Sunday.
A limited number of partial, needs-based scholarships are available for priests and vowed religious interested in participating in this program. To apply for a scholarship, please complete this scholarship request form.
TRAVEL & LODGING:
Participants are responsible for their own travel to and from the Academic Retreat for Teachers. Lodging is provided.
CERTIFICATE OF ATTENDANCE:
Continuing Education Credits (CEUs) are granted for participation in ICLE workshops, programs, and events. You may request a certificate of attendance for a previous event HERE.
For all programs, cancellations received at least 60 days in advance of the event will be honored with a full refund. Cancellations received at least 30 days in advance will receive a 50% refund. Cancellations received less than 30 days in advance will receive no refund. Please allow up to 30 days for a refund to be processed.
Please contact Program Manager Megan Fassero with questions: mfassero@CatholicLiberalEducation.org.
WOULD YOU LIKE TO OFFER THIS EXPERIENCE TO YOUR ENTIRE FACULTY?
The Academic Retreat for Teachers can be customized and brought on-site for an entire faculty. Contact Dr. Seeley at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.