Lower School Classical Educator – St. Thomas Catholic School – Ann Arbor, MI
• Understand and uphold the teachings of the Catholic Church, being a role model of Christian love, faith, and virtue. Relating to students by loving them with the love of Christ, encouraging them to develop their own relationship with God through the sacraments and scripture, and challenging them to love others as Christ does.
• Manage the class by setting clear expectations of behavior, establishing routines, promoting self-discipline based on Catholic principles, and implementing the school policy of behavioral discipline in the classroom. Communicate clearly and regularly to parents about the well-being of their children.
• Lead students to an understanding and an appreciation of all that is good, beautiful, and true by teaching students in a challenging, enthusiastic and age-appropriate manner using the classical model. Ensure that the scope and sequence of instruction assigned to the grade are taught to the students.
• Stay current on the best practices in education and teaching, particularly with regard to the classical model, through collaboration with other teachers, mentoring from administration, and communication with the larger classical school movement.
• Serve as an advocate for St. Thomas School and classical education by assisting in advancing classical Catholic education among the faculty and parent community by seeking to more fully realize the distinctive character of classical pedagogy.
• Evaluate each student’s progress on a regular basis and report that progress to the student, parents, and principal, responding expediently to parent, student, or administrator concerns and ideas.
• Assure a classroom environment that is safe, academically stimulating, organized, and well-maintained.
• Actively involve parents in the life of the school, and coordinate classroom volunteers.
• Supervise children during assigned duties at lunch, recess, and/or before and after school.
• Exemplify and articulate a life of faith in Jesus Christ and the Catholic Church.
• Be passionate about uniting the Catholic faith with all aspects of academic and school life.
• Be in agreement with the classical Catholic educational philosophy of St. Thomas School as outlined in the Educational Plan, demonstrate initiative in being trained in classical educational methods, and possess a desire to develop oneself intellectually and spiritually.
• Setting and taking responsibility for students achieving the highest academic standards of excellence.
• Possess a Bachelor’s Degree and a current teaching certificate (or obtain certification within three years of hire).
• Possess catechetical certification through the Diocese of Lansing (or obtain in a timely manner.)
Email cover letter and resume to Principal, Tim DiLaura, email@example.com