Latin Teacher – Father Gabriel Richard High School – Ann Arbor, MI
POSTING FOR: Part-time Latin Teacher (Levels I, II, & III)
REPORTS TO: Principal
World Language teachers at Fr. Gabriel Richard High School motivate each student to develop competencies, knowledge and skills in aurally comprehending, speaking, reading and writing in the target language, in accordance with each student’s ability; to interpret to students the culture of the countries where the target language is spoken; to discover and develop talents of students in world language communication, and to help students to develop an appreciation for a culture different from their own that promotes the life and dignity of all of God’s children.
1. Expresses a commitment to Catholic values and willingness to support student spiritual development both in and out of the classroom.
2. Acts as a role model of Christian behavior at all times following Catholic principles and begins each class with prayer.
3. Understands the importance of integrating Catholic values and faith in her/his discipline.
4. Teaches skills and knowledge in French instruction to students, utilizing the course of study adopted by the school and other appropriate learning activities. Modern foreign language teachers (French and Spanish) teach aural comprehension, speaking, reading, and writing. Latin teachers concentrate primarily on the study of syntax, morphology and vocabulary, with emphasis on reading and translation of classical literature.
5. Develops lesson plans and supplementary materials compatible with basic instructional philosophy, the teaching of the Catholic Church, and the spiritual mission of the school.
6. Provides learning experiences which develop the basic communication skills, and uses available technology in ways that facilitate and enhance student learning.
7. Provides individualized and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each student.
8. Instructs students in appropriate use of technology, websites and software used in language instruction. Makes minor adjustments as required.
9. Develops student understanding and appreciation of the culture of countries where French is spoken.
10. Promotes enthusiasm among students and tries to understand student’s backgrounds and use that information to engage them in classroom activities and learning.
11. Establishes and maintains standards of student behavior needed to provide an orderly, productive classroom environment.
12. Evaluates each pupil’s progress in aural comprehension, speaking, reading and writing the French in relationship to the level being taught.
13. Selects and requisitions books, instructional aids, and instructional supplies in cooperation with the instructional leader for World Languages.
14. Organizes classroom activities and space efficiently and updates records in appropriate portals in a timely fashion; prepares thoroughly and is timely in giving feedback to students and parents regarding behavior.
15. Recognizes the importance of maintaining and developing communication with parents and community members and is self-confident, responsive, and attentive in dealing with parents and community members.
16. Identifies student needs and cooperates with other professional staff members in helping students solve health, attitude, and learning problems.
17. Willing to spend time after work on preparation and extracurricular student affairs.
18. Participates in curriculum and other developmental programs.
19. Participates in faculty committees and the sponsorship of student activities.
20. Maintains professional competence through in-service education activities provided by the diocese, Fr. Gabriel Richard High School and/or in self-selected professional growth activities.
21. Performs other duties as may, from time to time be assigned by the instructional leader or principal.
1. Practicing Catholic in good standing
2. Valid State of Michigan Teacher Certification or equivalency with FD endorsement
3. Bachelor’s Degree with major or minor in Latin
4. Highly Qualified Status as determined by MDE
Interested candidates should complete and submit the following by May 11, 2018 to Office Manager Mary Vangieson (email@example.com).
1. Cover letter
3. Application Form (found at fgrhs.org)
4. Copy of your transcripts
5. List of three references (complete contact information)