Website The Summit Academy Fredericksburg, Virginia
Position Opening: Math Instructor
The Summit Academy is seeking an additional Instructor for the 2021-22 academic school year.
A Classical Education Seeks Understanding and Elevates Culture
As a Classical school, we seek candidates who possess a deep understanding of Mathematics and understand how it belongs within the context of a strong Liberal Arts education. The ultimate objective of the math courses would be to form students who appreciate the manner in which Math reveals the beauty and order of creation.
As a liberal arts school, our faculty culture is richly interdisciplinary. The ideal candidate will be well suited to teach Math and, if called upon, instruct students in a range of subjects. Candidates with a background in classical languages are of particular interest and should be sure to note any relevant experience or training.
Mathematics is the art of measuring. Science is the study of what can be measured. While math is woven together with the sciences, it reaches across all disciplines. It teaches logic, which is a basic philosophical principle. It teaches students to attend to reality, (honesty), which is a fundamental moral principle. It teaches balance, which is a basic aesthetic principle. Our pedagogy involves a strong collaborative and integrated approach that extends across multiple departments. As such, candidates should be able to articulate ways in which the different various aspects of math, (number, symbol and graph), work together but also the manner in which the various disciplines of the Liberal Arts integrate and work together.
At the core, a school is a community, and leaders are tasked with fostering a healthy learning culture. When we make hiring decisions, we are most interested in bringing in men and women who are interested in becoming members of a community that is warm, prioritizes wisdom, and develops young people to pursue what is true, good, and beautiful.
The goal of the mathematics program at The Summit is to have students arrive at a place of proficiency in both the theoretical understanding and the practical application of mathematics. Students will be equipped to engage mathematics as a tool for understanding other disciplines that build from a fundamental comprehension of the substance and structure of arithmetic and quantity.
Math at The Summit Academy begins with the Middle School employing the Singapore curriculum to develop problem-solving skills applied in pre-algebra, data analysis, probability, and some algebra and geometry. The High School curriculum utilizes a range of texts ranging from Euclid’s Geometry and some use of Holt’s Algebra II, but relies most heavily on the Harkness Math, which involves students working together to exchange ideas as they are trained in the art of problem-solving to work through procedures, formulas, calculation, logic, and ultimately, arrive at a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts.
Skill Set and Pedagogy
The Summit instructor will be responsible for developing in students a strong core algebra with the goal of giving them a foundation from which to build a solid Math proficiency. Knowledge of mathematics and the ability to communicate and demonstrate concepts correctly and perform procedures accurately in basic and advanced algebra and trigonometry is essential.
The Summit instructor should be prepared to help students unpack the core concepts of Math and lead them through such questions as:
• What does Math describe?
• What is it that gives math its potency?
• Why do mathematical principles cohere?
• What is it about mathematics that makes it so effective in the natural sciences?
• For example, why was Newton able to express the law of gravity as a mathematical equation?
Education and Experience
• Minimum Bachelor’s degree
• Master’s degree preferred and reflected in compensation
• Preference will be given to candidates with degree or advanced course work in mathematics (or other closely related field).
• Mastery of subject matters to be taught, as demonstrated by references and education. Applicants should be prepared to present a sample lesson as part of the interview process.
• Two years of teaching experience preferred, with exceptions granted for outstanding candidates who demonstrate a record of effective leadership in a relevant field of work.
• Prior experience with Harkness Math and/or Euclidian Geometry is preferred but not absolutely necessary. However, the successful candidate will need to possess a high level of openness.
• Most essentially, the applicant must also possess a love of teaching and a passion for mentoring and a desire to continue in their own learning
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume and CV to Julian Malcolm at email@example.com, or mail them to:
The Summit Academy
5825 Plank Road, Suite 113 #77
Fredericksburg, VA 22407
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org