High School Math Instructor – The Summit Academy – Fredericksburg, VA
The Summit Academy is seeking an additional Math Instructor for the 2018-19 academic school year.
Math at The Summit Academy begins with algebra, includes a thorough section on Euclidian geometry and extends to advanced calculus.
A Classical Education Seeks Understanding –
As a Classical school, we seek candidates who not only possess a deep understanding of Mathematics, but also understand how it belongs within the context of a strong Liberal Arts education. Our mission is to form students who appreciate the manner in which Math reveals the beauty and order of creation.
Mathematics is the art of measuring. Science is the study of what can be measured. While math is woven together with the sciences, it reaches across all disciplines. It teaches logic, which is a basic philosophical principle. It teaches students to attend to reality, (honesty), which is a fundamental moral principle. It teaches balance, which is a basic aesthetic principle. The pedagogy involves a strong collaborative and integrated approach that extends across multiple departments. As such, candidates should be able to articulate ways in which the different various aspects of math, (number, symbol and graph), work together but also the manner in which the various disciplines of the Liberal Arts integrate and work together.
Skill Set and Pedagogy –
A qualified instructor should be able to teach the entire mathematics curriculum.
The Summit instructor will be responsible for helping develop a strong core algebra with the goal of giving students a foundation from which to build a solid Math proficiency. Knowledge of mathematics should include the ability to communicate and demonstrate concepts correctly and perform procedures accurately in basic and advanced algebra, trigonometry and calculus.
In addition, the Summit instructor should be prepared to help students unpack the core concepts of Math and lead them through such questions as:
• What does Math describe?
• What is it that gives math its potency?
• Why do mathematical principles cohere?
• What is it about mathematics that makes it so effective in the natural sciences?
• For example, why was Newton able to express the law of gravity as a mathematical equation?
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree
• Master’s degree preferred and reflected in compensation
• Preference will be given to candidates with degree in mathematics/engineering (or other closely related field)
• Mastery of subject matters to be taught, as demonstrated by references and education. Applicants should be prepared to present a sample lesson as part of the interview process.
• Two years of teaching experience preferred, with exceptions granted for outstanding candidates who demonstrate a record of effective leadership in a relevant field of work.
• The applicant must also possess a love of teaching and a passion for mentoring and a desire to continue in their own learning
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume and CV to Julian Malcolm at firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail them to:
The Summit Academy
5825 Plank Road, Suite 113 #77
Fredericksburg, VA 22407