Bishop Machebeuf Catholic High School, an Archdiocesan Catholic High School in Denver, CO, currently serving 338 students, seeks its first ever President. Reporting to the governing Board of Members, and appointed by the Archbishop of Denver, the President is responsible for the overall vision, strategy, and management of all aspects of the organization and ensuring they are aligned with the vision for Catholic Education of the Archbishop of Denver’s Office of Catholic Schools.
The President works in collaboration with the school Principal, the faculty, staff, and the Board of Trustees (a board of limited jurisdiction as delegated by the governing Board of Members) to guide the work of the organization.
The President focuses on advocating for and advancing the mission of Catholic education for the Archdiocese of Denver and its manifestation at Bishop Machebeuf High School. The President works with their team to create the strategic direction for the school’s growth and success, while ensuring adequate resources and supporting strategic management positions.
Specific areas of responsibility and accountability include:
– Build and promote a culture of Catholic educational excellence at Bishop Machebeuf High School committed to virtue, discipleship, coherent and joyful witness to the Catholic faith, and fidelity to the magisterium and teachings of the Catholic Church, including embracing the fullness of the Church’s understanding of the human person as male and female created in God’s image and likeness
-Build upon strategic efforts underway and establish additional strategic priorities and initiatives focused on the renewal of Bishop Machebeuf High School as a Catholic liberal arts school.
-Implement annual strategic planning process, develop balanced scorecard to drive action plans, and align priorities and initiatives to drive the renewal and strengthening of the mission of Bishop Machebeuf High School
-Establish (with the Principal where applicable per the organizational chart) Human Resource management system including performance management, talent reviews, compliance/discipline, communication, development, and professional development and faith formation for faculty and staff
-Ensure compliance with directives of the governing Board of Members or the Board of Trustees, within their delegated jurisdiction
-Provide leadership and support to the Principal and drive excellence in Bishop Machebeuf’s academic and intellectual formation program, centered on the authentic Catholic liberal arts and committed to a true integrated educational experience
– Provide leadership and support to the Advancement and Admissions team to achieve fundraising and enrollment goals and objectives
-Provide leadership and support to optimize student participation and leadership development
-Optimize Bishop Machebeuf’s resources and assets to position Bishop Machebeuf for changing trends, emerging risks, and opportunities
-Build a collegial and collaborative culture focused on continuous improvement, internal/external feedback, and performance metrics aligned to the Archdiocese of Denver’s Catholic Schools performance standards in the areas of Catholic Mission, Formation, and Evangelization, Academics, School Culture, and Operational Vitality
-Define, oversee, and achieve annual and multi-year budgets and operating plans in conjunction with the Board of Trustees, the Archdiocese of Denver, and the approval of the governing Board of Members
School President Attributes and Dispositions
• A Catholic in good standing with the Church, who assents to the Church’s teachings on all matters, with particular care for those concerning the nature of the human person, sexual ethics, and sexual morality
• Possess a zeal for the Lord and for their Catholic faith, with an ability to speak comfortably and competently about their faith to various stakeholders
• Possess graduate level academic credentials and/or professional background in education, leadership, business, or related field
• Be committed to the Archdiocese of Denver’s vision and philosophy for Catholic education
• Be committed to Catholic education rooted in the liberal arts, the foundations of western civilization, a non-revisionist understanding of history that highlights the essential contributions of Christianity to the development of western culture, and literature that enables young men and women to grapple the big questions of life in pursuit of what is true, good, and beautiful
• Bring awareness and understanding of adolescent development and the challenges adolescents and young adults face in the secular and morally relativist world of today
• Be an exceptional communicator- competent speaker and writer
• Convey exceptional executive presence, communication, and relationship-building skills across a broad range of constituents
• Collaborative leader who evaluates information before making a decision/taking action
• Exude trust and respect among students, faculty, parents, and the Boards
• Possess a strong positive, can-do attitude, with a strong bias for action based on realistic, specific, and attainable goals
• Demonstrate good judgement, discretion, and confidentiality
• Display a strong desire to innovate where reasonable and drive continuous improvement
• Prefer a transparent and collaborative, but decisive management style
• Knows how to complement and cultivate the skill set and leadership styles of other administrators at the school
• Actively demonstrates a cross-cultural sensitivity
If you are interested in applying for the President position at Bishop Machebeuf Catholic High School and believe you meet the requirements above, please submit a letter of interest and resume to the Office of Catholic of Catholic Schools of the Archdiocese of Denver via email or standard post.
Attention: Mr. Elias J. Moo, Superintendent
1300 South Steele Street
Denver, CO 80210
Upon receipt of a letter of interest and resume, an application packet will be sent to qualified candidates for completion and submission to the Office of Catholic Schools for review and approval.
To learn more about the Archdiocese of Denver Catholic Schools, visit our website at http://www.denvercatholicschool.com.
For additional questions about the position, please feel free to contact the Superintendent of Catholic Schools, Mr. Elias J. Moo.
The Ideal Candidate
Personal and Credible Witness to the Faith:
The ideal candidate will first and foremost, have a deep commitment to following Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior, and possess a deep love for the Catholic Church and her teachings, expressed through their credible and joyful witness and desire to make Jesus known, loved, and served. Their love for Christ and the Church will be integrated and evident in all areas of their life, as a Catholic in good standing with the Church.
Committed to a Catholic Educational Philosophy from the Heart of the Church:
The ideal candidate will have a passion for Catholic education and hold deeply the belief that education belongs, “…preeminently to the Church ,” and, “…is an engine of evangelization for the Church and the culture. ” Thus they will fully understand and embrace the opportunity to ensure that Bishop Machebeuf High School will, “ provide a haven amidst our morally confused culture, educate the whole person, and assist parents in forming their children in an authentically Catholic worldview ,” by ensuring the school offers, “the kind of learning that will free them from the shackles of secularism, which rejects the very notion that Truth exists… [and] nourish the soul in truth, goodness, and beauty, defying the dictatorship of relativism that oppresses our age. ” The ideal candidate will cherish the opportunity to lead the renewal of the mission of Bishop Machebeuf High School, “Through the recovery of the Church’s own [intellectual] tradition” and will be deeply invested in strengthening the authentic Catholic liberal arts. The ideal candidate will also hold the belief that parents are the primary educators of children and that the Catholic school must constitute, “…one sanctuary of education…with the family and the Church,” in order to be effective.
Leadership Aptitude and Skills:
The ideal candidate will possess an aptitude for and leadership skills in strategic planning, human resource management, team building, accountability, fund development, and finance. The candidate must demonstrate ability to build and manage internal and external relationships and possess the communication skills necessary to inspire and build consensus among disparate stakeholder groups within the Bishop Machebeuf High School and broader Archdiocese of Denver community. The ideal candidate will be a consistently visible and active member of the Bishop Machebeuf High School community.
The ideal candidate will also be able to cultivate the professional and spiritual growth and flourishing of their faculty and staff and collaborate with their Principal to create a culture committed to learning and growth.
Candidates from a variety of career backgrounds- business, academic and/or non-profit- will be considered, and must demonstrate credibility and vision alignment with Bishop Machebeuf High School’s stakeholders and its mission. Ideal candidates will have demonstrated, increasing leadership experience, including in the following areas: executive leadership, strategic planning, fiscal management, Board management, marketing, operations, service delivery, external relations/fundraising and organizational change management. The ability to create partnerships with outside organizations, which develop opportunities for teacher and student growth, or revenue opportunities for the school will also be highly regarded. It is critical that the President demonstrate versatility in style with the ability to engage multiple stakeholders-Board of Members, Board of Trustees, faculty, staff, parents, students, alumni, donors, Church leaders- while maintaining credibility and coherency.