About Chesterton Academy:
Chesterton Academy is a pro-family, Catholic high school offering an integrated, classical curriculum centered on the Incarnation of Jesus Christ. Focusing on the classics, the school develops complete thinkers who learn to draw on faith and reason for the purpose of building a culture of life.
This is a rare opportunity for one called to leadership. Play a foundational role in the educational movement reintroducing the Catholic, classical intellectual tradition. The Chesterton Academy of Notre Dame is opening grades 9-12 in the Fall of 2020. Our headmaster will begin work in the Fall of 2019. This headmaster position is for a new Chesterton network school and therefore includes all hiring of faculty and staff and overseeing of the startup.
The headmaster serves as the educational and organizational leader and is responsible for implementing the network curriculum, managing the teaching staff, and the policies of the Chesterton Academy of Notre Dame. He or she is responsible for instructional leadership (teacher growth and development), curriculum and school recommendations, hiring and supervision of instructional personnel, student life, discipline, and all related parent communications.
The headmaster will ensure that students are in a learning environment to maximize both faith and reason, in order that they develop God-given talents and gifts and find joy in their ultimate calling. We seek to lead and transform through beauty, truth and goodness.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Establish and promote high standards and expectations for all students and staff for academic performance and responsibility for behavior.
2. Establish a professional and respectful rapport with students and staff. Displays the highest ethical and professional behavior and standards when working with students, parents, and school personnel.
3. Manage, evaluate and supervise effective and clear policies and procedures for the operation and functioning of the school that is consistent with the schools philosophy, mission, values and goals.
4. Supervise the instructional programs of the school, evaluating lesson plans and observing classes on a regular basis. Encourages the use of a variety of instructional strategies and materials.
5. Establish procedures for evaluation and selection of instructional materials and equipment, approving all recommendations.
6. Supervises in a fair and consistent manner effective discipline and attendance systems with high standards, consistent with the philosophy, values and mission of the school.
7. Ensures a safe, orderly environment that encourages students to take responsibility for behavior and creates high morale among staff and students.
8. Establishes schedules and procedures for the supervision of students in non-classroom areas.
9. Maintains safe storing and integrity of all public and confidential school records. Ensures that student records are complete and current.
10. Protect confidentiality of records and information gained as part of exercising professional duties and use discretion in sharing such information within legal confines.
11. Communicates with parents, seeking their support and advice, so as to create a cooperative relationship to support the student in the school.
12. Complete in a timely manner all records and reports as requested by the board.
13. Supervises procedures for identifying needs of students including academic, health- related, physical, emotional and spiritual needs.
14. Maintains an atmosphere of piety, obedience and charity throughout the school.
15. Enforces uniform policy and appearance policy so as to assure a school environment that is focused on group spiritual and academic achievement rather than on individuals.
16. Notifies the board of any contractual violations of staff.
17. Maintains visibility with students, teachers, parents and board. Attends required meetings and school sponsored events.
18. Delegates assignments to administrative personnel as appropriate.
19. Demonstrates strong leadership skills in exercising duties and responsibilities.
We are located in the beautiful pacific northwest city of Spokane, Washington. Notre Dame will be located at the Cathedral of Our Lady of Lourdes in Downtown Spokane.
The Chesterton Academy of Notre Dame is a Diocesan-affiliate and a member of the Chesterton Schools Network (Edina, Minnesota).
Education: Masters in Education and/or expert knowledge of classical, liberal education preferred.
Experience: Teaching experience, secondary school administration; familiarity with the mission of Chesterton Academy and the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church.
Must be a practicing Roman Catholic in good standing. Demonstrates a commitment to Catholic, classical education. Exemplary Catholic role model to faculty and students.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Letter of Interest
Philosophy of Education
Names and Contact Information of Three Professional References
Review of Applications begins immediately. Competitive salary commensurate with experience.