St. Eugene’s is a K-8 school at the cathedral parish of the Diocese of Santa Rosa. Santa Rosa is in northern California, about one hour from San Francisco. It is a mixed urban/rural area, in the Sonoma County wine region. The school is a cross section of people from the area. One significant element of this cross-section is the Hispanic community.
St. Eugene’s School has a solid legacy of academic and faith development of young people. The new principle will build on that foundation and further advance the school in its mission of preparing young Catholic thinkers for the world we live in today.
The school’s next principal will be an inspiring leader with deep understanding of best practices in Catholic school education, excellent communication skills, leadership qualities and change-management experience. He/she should be excited to collaborate with staff and parents to strengthen a school climate that values faith, intellectual and academic development and social emotional learning. He/she should have an understanding of the needs of students with learning disabilities or other academic challenges, and ensure that all children are successful in the learning environment.
As the leader of the Faith Community of the school, the Principal shall:
• Be a practicing Catholic, in good standing with the church, who can competently explain and give witness to our Catholic faith in the school community
• Be dedicated to the ministry of Catholic education and help promote the Catholic identity of the school.
• Create an atmosphere with faculty, staff and parents, that fosters a love of learning and supports the development of the whole child.
• Develop a rigorous educational program that meets the needs of the student population and maintain a consistency in academic excellence in line with the school’s accreditation standards.
• Have the ability and willingness to introduce new technology, ideas and methods into the school that advance the intellectual development of our children
• Have knowledge of school finances, be creative and have a positive attitude in meeting budget challenges, and have the resolve to make difficult trade-offs when necessary
• Recruit, hire, support, and supervise faculty and staff, and provide regular feedback and guidance to those in the organization
• Have public relations and collaboration skills to solidify/increase stakeholder relationships and to generate excitement about the activities and mission of St. Eugene’s School
The Preferred Candidate
• Is a well-informed, practicing Catholic, registered within a parish
• Holds a Masters in Educational Leadership or an administrative credential
• Has a minimum of five years of experience in teaching and/or in administration in a Catholic school
• Is passionate about the Catholic life of the school
• English/Spanish Bilingual skills are beneficial
• Has a sense of humor, ability to maintain a balanced perspective
When applying, applicants are to upload:
– Signed Diocese of Santa Rosa Code of Ethics/Pre-Application Statement
– Letter of Introduction
– Contact List of References
– Three Letters of Recommendation
– Answers to supplemental questions, written in another document and uploaded with this application. The questions are:
1. What is your personal philosophy of Catholic education?
2. In your opinion, what is the role/place of the Catholic School in the life of the Parish/Church community?
3. Have you had experience implementing a school wide initiative? If so, what was it and how did you involve a variety of shareholders?
Questions, please contact Linda Norman, Superintendent of Catholic Schools, Diocese of Santa Rosa. firstname.lastname@example.org
Posting will remain open until filled.