1st Grade Teacher – The Atonement Academy – San Antonio TX
The Atonement Academy seeks a teacher for the first grade who lives the Catholic faith from their heart and desires to share the love of God with their students, fellow faculty, and the school at large.
This teacher must be willing to teach based on the classical method of education. Prior experience in this method is preferred. However, at a minimum, the candidate must have the desire and willingness to immediately begin an ongoing pursuit personally and professionally, in tandem with all faculty, to deepen their understanding of the Catholic classical method of education.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor of Arts degree in Education, Humanities, or any of the Liberal Arts is preferred.
Preferred experience or training of 1-3 years; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
1. Must be willing and able to witness and teach the Catholic faith from their heart and model virtues for young students.
2. Must be willing to make a profession of faith and take an oath of fidelity to the Magisterium.
3. Superlative interpersonal skills with young students, parents, and colleagues.
4. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
5. Strong organizational and management skills.
6. Desire and Ability to establish and maintain collaborative, supportive, and highly effective working relationships with students, parents, faculty and administration.
7. Desire to work collaboratively with 1st Grade Teacher Colleague through planning and developing of the first grade curriculum.
8. Willingness to continue professional development courses and attend classical education workshops as required according to Academy guidelines and any they may desire of their own accord.
9. Must be able to keep confidential information.
10. Must possess a forgiving heart.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Plans and develops 1st grade curriculum in conjunction with 1st grade teacher colleague and others.
2. Creatively develops and presents specific lesson plans for 1st grade.
3. Implements Virtue Training
4. Prepares assignments and tests for use in school preparation and homework.
5. Assists, monitors, corrects, and grades student performances and assessments.
6. Possesses broad knowledge of Classical methodology and pedagogy.
7. Consults with other professionals if there is evidence of learning disabilities with students.
8. Maintains order in classroom, administers discipline in order to achieve proper behavior.
9. Counsels students who develop academic difficulties
10. Guides students when behavioral problems arise.
11. Informs and communicates individual and class learning trends with parents on a regular basis.
12. Keeps records of academic performance, attendance, and social acclimation.
13. Participates in faculty meetings, educational conferences, professional workshops and training seminars.
Please email cover letter, resume, and the names of three references to Head of School, James Growdon,
The Atonement Academy
15415 Red Robin Road
San Antonio, TX 78255